Name Change On A Louisiana Drivers License

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The state OMV recommends that you change the name on your Louisiana drivers license as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many OMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the OMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local OMV.

3: Via a OMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local OMV office. Varying OMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the OMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your OMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

In order to change your name on your drivers license in Louisiana you will first need to change your name at the Social Security office. Click here to receive your personalized checklist and application.

Social Security Administration

To begin the name-change process, visit the SSA website. You must then gather the following documents:

  • Marriage document
  • Divorce decree
  • Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name or Court-ordered name change
  • U.S. citizenship (if you have not established your citizenship with us) or immigration status (including Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States. 

Download, print and fill out the name-change form

Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office. All documents must be originals.

At the OMV
Be sure to bring your Louisiana drivers license, vehicle registration, and Social Security number along with the following:

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of residence
  • Marriage decree
  • Court order

How to: