Louisiana Salvage Title

In the state of Louisiana, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Louisiana. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a LA Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many OMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the OMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local OMV.

3: Via a OMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local OMV office. Varying OMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the OMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your OMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Louisiana Salvage Titles

In the state of Louisiana a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing or rebuilding the vehicle is 75 percent or more of the market value as determined by the most current National Automobile Dealers Association Handbook. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

To learn more about Louisiana Salvage Titles, read below:

Applying for a Louisiana Salvage Certificate of Title

To apply for a Louisiana Salvage Title, you'll need to go in person to your local Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) branch. There you'll need to give your insurance Total Loss statement, provide your vehicle title, and fill out an Application for a Salvage or Reconstructed Motor Vehicle. Click here for more information.

Louisiana Salvage Rebuilt Titles

A Rebuilt LA Salvage Rebuilt Title means the vehicle has been repaired and is roadworthy. As an owner of the vehicle, you will have to complete a Salvage-Reconstructed Motor Vehicle Application and file it with your local LA OMV branch. Click here to read more on Salvage-Rebuilt title procedures.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Louisiana

Normally each state follows the same guidelines to acquire an abandoned automobile. An abandoned vehicle title in Louisiana can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it in Louisiana, you will have to first report the abandoned vehicle to the Louisiana State Police who will investigate and try to contact the owner themselves. If the prior owner does not come forth after 60 days, you will be able to file for a LA Title/and or Registration.

To see if the vehicle you're trying to claim falls under these guidelines, please visit your LA Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).